The beginning of the new school year is always a trying time, even if you don’t have kids. The traffic is insane and wetter weather makes life a little bit more difficult. When the week is getting the better of you and you need some quick but equally satifsying meals, there is nothing better than a plate of pasta, and no one does pasta better than a Diacono. Michael Diacono shows us the ropes to a pasta dish that will make a great mid-week meal. Għagin Grieg is cooked like risotto and is a hit with grown ups and kids alike.
- Olive oil
- ½ small onion
- 250g minced meat (beef and pork)
- 250g Ditalini (żibeġ)
- 1 litre chicken stock
- Large handful Parmesan
- Knob butter
- Heat the olive oil and butter.
- Fry the onion until soft.
- Add the mince and season with salt and pepper.
- Add the thyme and cook until browned (approx. 5 mins).
- Add the pasta and mix well allowing to fry for a few mins.
- Add a ladleful of stock and allow to simmer until the stock has been absorbed as you would with a Add the remaining stock a ladleful at a time until the pasta has cooked (8 mins).
- Add the Parmesan, parsley and knob of butter. Mix well until the butter is melted.
- Serve immediately.