Beetroots are full of valuable nutrients so getting more of them into your diet will not only add to your flavour profile but will also help keep you on a healthier track. Roasted or juiced, they are great additions to your diet, but here we have a more exciting way to get more beetroots in there; Michael Diacono’s beetroot chocolate cake!
Beetroot and Chocolate Cake
- 175g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 75g cocoa powder
- 225g sugar
- 3 eggs
- 200g beetroot, cooked and peeled
- 200g vegetable oil
- 250 g plain dark chocolate
- 250ml fresh cream
- Heat oven to 200°C.
- Line a 20cm round cake tin with baking paper
- Sift flour with baking powder and cocoa into a large bowl.
- Add the sugar.
- Blend the eggs with the cooked beetroot and vegetable oil in a food processor till smooth.
- Fold the beetroot mixture into the dry ingredients until well-amalgamated.
- Pour into the prepared cake tin and bake for about 40 mins. Check with a skewer to make sure cake is cooked.
- Prepare topping by heating cream in a pot till it starts to boil.
- Add the broken chocolate and stir in till melted.
- Remove from heat and leave to cool before using to coat your beetroot chocolate cake.
© 2017 – VIDA Magazine – Michael Diacono