Here in Malta, there’s no denying we love burgers, but burgers don’t always have to be the heavy greasy kind you find at the village festa. When prepared well, burgers can be very healthy, and an extremely creative affair! Nella Grech from NVKD Foods shares her healthy vegetarian Jackfruit ‘Pulled Pork’ burger recipe with us .
HEALTHY ‘PULLED PORK’ BURGERS
For the jackfruit ‘pulled pork’
• 1 packet jackfruit (you can get this from health stores or Asian stores)
• Spice rub in the packet (if provided)
• ½ cup + 1/3 cup BBQ sauce
• 1 tsp cajun spice
• 1 tsp smoked paprika
• ½ tsp Himalayan salt
For the guacamole
• 1 ripe avocado
• 1 tbsp lime juice
• Salt & pepper
For the burger
• 3 whole grain burger buns
• 1 cup shredded purple cabbage
• 3 slices vegan cheese (you can
use sheeze, violife ect).
• 2 sliced tomatoes
- Start with the jackfruit – drain any excess liquids from the packet/can (if it is preserved in brine). Using your hands, separate the jackfruit into pulled pork like shreds.
- In a bowl, mix the spices and the jackfruit and rub the spices into the fruit.
- Add the 1/2 cup BBQ sauce to the mixture and mix until evenly coated. Leave the whole mixture to marinate in the fridge for at least one hour.
- Pre-heat the oven to 120C and line a baking dish with baking paper.
- Transfer the jackfruit to the oven and bake for around 40 minutes, keeping a close watch and turning occasionally. When it starts to dry up, add the rest of the BBQsauce and mix again. Bake at setting 120 for another 20mins.
- When done, split the burger buns into halves and toast on the hob. Add a slice of cheese to the bottom part of the bun and leave it to melt.
- Layer the tomato on the cheese, BBQ jackfruit, guacamole & shredded cabbage. Serve by itself or with a side salad.
You can follow more of Nella’s recipes at www.facebook.com/nvkedmalta
© 2018 – VIDA Magazine