To celebrate tongue twister day, here at VIDA we thought we’d provide you with a little challenge that is most likely to get your tongue tied. It’s time to sit up straight and brace yourself, concentration is a necessity here.
This can go one in two ways, you can either have a great laugh or you’ll get so furious with yourself that you’ll end up closing your laptop mid-way. Let’s just hope it’s the former.
Without further ado….
Tongue Twisters Challenge Round 1
- Double bubble gum bubbles double
- Sly Sam slurps sally’s soup
Now try one in Maltese: Qafas tal-qasab imdendel mas-saqaf.
This should’ve been relatively easy to do, a warm up for the rest of our tongue twister challenge. Not too bad huh? Let’s take it up a notch
Tongue Twisters Challenge Round 2:
- Chester Cheetah chews a chunk of cheep cheddar cheese
- Three gray geese in the green grass grazing. Gray were the geese and green was the grass
Maltese: Il-pespus pespes pespisa lill-pespusa tal-pespus, u l-pespusa tal-pespus għat-tpespisa tal-pespus, pespset.
Doing fine so far? Great, let’s see if you can keep up your momentum.
Tongue Twisters Challenge Round 3:
- If two witches would watch two watches, which witch would watch which watch?
- If you can’t can any candy can, how many candy cans can a candy canner can if he can can candy cans ?
Maltese: Patri minn Napli mar Capri għall-papri. Mela f’Napli m’hemmx papri biex patri minn Napli mar Capri għall-papri.
Let’s switch to poems now…
Tongue Twisters Challenge Round 4:
- When a doctor doctors a doctor, does the doctor doing the doctoring doctor as the doctor being doctored wants to be doctored or does the doctor doing the doctoring doctor as he wants to doctor?
- I’m not the pheasant plucker, I’m the pheasant plucker’s mate, and I’m only plucking pheasants ’cause the pheasant plucker’s late. I’m not the pheasant plucker, I’m the pheasant plucker’s son, and I’m only plucking pheasants till the pheasant pluckers come.
Toni tagħna tani tina
talli tajtu tuta tajba.
Trid tarah lil Toni tagħna
tiela’ t-telgħa tat-Tintillu!
‘Ta’ Toni, tin tlieta tonn.
Tagħtinix tonn tinten, tin tonn tajjeb,
I bet we got you there… now let’s move on to what is perhaps the mother of all tongue twisters
Tongue Twisters Challenge Round 5:
Betty Botter bought some butter
But she said this butter’s bitter
If I put it in my batter
It will make my batter bitter,
But a bit of better butter
Will surely make my batter better.
So she bought a bit of butter
Better than her bitter butter
And she put it in her batter
And her batter was not bitter.
So t’was better Betty Botter
Bought a bit of better butter.
Most of us couldn’t make it past the first paragraph of that last one …