Whiskey Honey Tossed Walnuts
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. In a medium saucepan, stir together honey, granulated sugar, Irish whiskey and salt. Cook over medium heat for 3-4 minutes, or until sugar is dissolved and mixture comes to a slow boil.
3. Add walnut halves. Stir to coat. Simmer for 5 minutes, stirring, until syrup begins to bubble up and turn a light brown in color.
4. Remove from heat and drain liquid through a strainer.
5. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Place coated walnuts onto parchment paper in a single layer, separating as much as possible.
6. Place in the oven and bake for 8-10 minutes (watch closely so they don’t burn).
7. Remove from heat and allow to cool.8. Once cooled, separate walnuts from each other and use to top a salad, stir into yogurt or as a tasty snack.
Chocolate Walnut Pie
1. Position rack in lower third of the oven and preheat to 375°F. Stir the butter and 70g of chocolate chips into a heavy small saucepan over low heat until melted and smooth. Cool until warm.
2. Beat the eggs, sugar, corn syrup, vanilla and salt in a medium bowl until blended. Whisk in the butter mixture. Stir in the walnut pieces and the remaining 110g of chocolate chips.
3. Pour the filling into the pie crust. Bake until filling is set and crust is golden brown, for about 45 minutes. Cool. (Pie can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover loosely and keep at room temperature.)
© 2019 – VIDA Magazine